This EUR-OCEANS Conference will be hosted by PLOCAN in Gran Canaria, Spain, 6-8 November 2013.
A back-to-back workshop led by UniHB/MARUM and titled Data integration in marine science – Collaborations between journal and data publishers/databases will be held on 4-5 November (attendance limited to 20 participants).
Overview of the conference
The conference aims at showing progress and perspectives on selected ‘hot topics’ in Marine Science. Over the past 5 years, the EUR-OCEANS Consortium has identified, supported and promoted a number of such topics, notably by funding foresight workshops, flagship programs and other types of activities.
The 2.5-day conference also intends to pave the way for the integration of the EUR-OCEANS community in the future EuroMarine+ Consortium. In 2014, this Consortium will replace three former networks of excellence: EUR-OCEANS, MarBEF and Marine Genomics Europe. The conference will discuss opportunities for new multidisciplinary approaches, which such integration opens up, notably in the ‘trading zones’ where the three scientific communities can jointly address topics of common interest.
Selected hot topics include:
- Ocean deoxygenation and acidification
- High resolution ocean (or how meso and submesoscale physics constrains biogeochemistry and biology)
- Rapid change in polar oceans
- Ecosystem models and biodiversity scenarios for changing oceans
- Links between marine ecology, biodiversity and genomics
- Plasticity, epigenetics, adaptativeness.
Sessions on the above topics will leave ample room for discussion after two invited keynote talks. A final session will focus on the production of one or more joint synthesis article(s) and on future advances to be made within the EuroMarine+ context. Posters will be welcomed. Data and journal publishers also meet at the venue and a conference keynote presentation will highlight the future of open access, cross-disciplinary publication as a mean for integration. Progress on the EuroMarine+ Consortium Agreement will be presented and a signature ceremony should be held to mark the transition to EuroMarine+.
- Philippe Cury (IRD, France) – Chair
- Paul Tréguer (UBO, France) – Co-Chair
- Eric Delory (PLOCAN, Spain)
- Véronique Garçon (CNRS, France)
- Marina Lévy (CNRS, France)
- Patrizio Mariani (DTU Aqua, Denmark)
- Lorenzo Motos (AZTI, Spain)
- Bernard Quéguiner (AMU, France)
- Maurizio Ribera d’Alcalà (SZN, Italy)
- Sabrina Speich (UBO, France)
- Pierre-François Baisnée (IRD, France)
- Lorenzo Motos (AZTI, Spain)
- Stéphane Pesant (UniHB/MARUM, Germany)
- Mónica Ramirez (PLOCAN, Spain)
Will be posted here shortly
Registration, practical info, links
Registration instructions will be posted here shortly.
Registration deadline: 31 July
Number or participants will be limited to 92.
Some grants will be available for PhD and post-doc participants.
Contacts: philippe.cury [at] ird.fr; treguer [at] univ-brest.fr; po [at] eur-oceans.eu
Venue: PLOCAN (Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands) - Carretera de Taliarte, s/n. - 35214 Telde - Gran Canaria – Canary Islands – Spain
Venue webpage: www.plocan.eu/en
Venue location (map): bit.ly/YGjnMb